
My grandparents were here over the weekend. It was so much fun to be with them. They arrived on Friday evening very worn out. I still can't believe that they drove cross country with a boat. Grandma probably said 100 times how glad she was to be rid of it. We took them to dinner on Friday night, and sent them to their hotel for much needed rest!
Saturday, we ran errands! Grandma had her hair done. She said it was getting very itchy, so Garrett made her an appointment with my stylist. She looked great! We did their laundry. And Garrett took Grandpa to the Goodyear place to get a new tire and an oil change! They took us to dinner (Nikki picked Applebees).
At church on Sunday, Nikki snuggled in with Grandpa while Grandma tickled her back. That had to have been her best Sacrament meeting ever!!! I was touched by how much my children love their great-grandparents. Matthew couldn't get enough of Grandpa, and sat on his lap quite a bit (which is something for Matthew). I had fun showing them off at church! I am so proud of them!
Grandpa asked Nikki what her favorite subject in school was. She told him "Gym." He asked her who "Jim" was, and if his last name was "Nasium." Nikki would giggle and giggle every time Grandpa would ask her when he gets to meet "Jim." It was fun to see them banter, and made my heart happy!
Sunday evening we sat and visited. I saw a side of my grandparents that I have never seen before. Grandma shared memories, and made some comments that had me laughing! It was wonderful to see the way Grandpa looked at Grandma with so much love! My grandparents have always been my favorite people, and I have really missed spending time with them. We laughed, and talked, and strengthened our relationships. It is a weekend I will always treasure.
I learned something about me too! I have always thought of parents and grandparents in the abstract . . . people that you love, but don't really know! I realized something this weekend. That we are all esentially the same! My mom jokes about "inappropriate" things! My grandmother doesn't always love her Ward. We have all been lonely! We worry over our children, and our parents. We love our husbands (we just don't love the things they do that drive us crazy). We make things work when it doesn't seem possible! We are all strong!!
I miss them already!
3 comments:
I actually noticed in Church how lovely your grandma's hair looked. I LOVE your grandpa's joke with Nikki. It sounds a lot like my kind of jokes. Dave thinks I always have the silliest jokes, ha ha. One of grandpas used to say jokes like that. He was so silly and so funny!
Isn't it wonderful spending time with family?! I'm happy you guys had such a great time with them!
I am so glad you got to have some special moments with your grandparents. They are pretty great, aren't they?
When we visit with them I think that our bodies are different ages, but our spirits are the same age (young!)
We need to spend as much time with Grandparents as we can. We never know how much longer we will have them with us.
We miss you and love you!!!
Wow! I'm so jealous of that time you spent! Makes me wanna go visit them!
Post a Comment