10/13 We have this really great fire pit that rarely gets used. The kids have been asking me for weeks when we would do a fire pit and roast marshmallows. I kept using Garrett being gone as an excuse. I realized that if I wait around for Garrett to be here, we will never get to do fun things! So we called up our neighbors and half of the ward and had an impromptu fire pit. We probably had about 20 people in our front yard. Everyone brought stuff for hot dogs and smores. We had a blast! Tanner has decided that he really likes roasted hot dogs better than microwaved, and keeps asking me when we are going to do it again!
10/17 The Air Force has a really great program for deployed families called "Hearts Apart." They sponsor a free dinner once a month. This month the dinner was also a halloween party. We went with our friends, the Duffetts (who's husband/dad has been gone almost a year). Nikki and Peyton had fun making crafts and playing the games. Matthew just wanted to eat his candy. It is so great to be able to get out and do fun things when Garrett is gone. The Air Force really does try to take care of it's families!
10/18 Another perk about the Air Force, is all of the free events that we get to go to. This time it was Sesame Street Live. We were able to get reserved tickets because Garrett is deployed. There was a pre show party at the park with lunch, games and a huge inflatable slide (which Matthew was terrified of). After the party we headed over to the theater for the show. While we were waiting in line, volunteers from the USO gave the kiddos light up Elmo spinners. They wore the batteries out before the show even started! The show was great. We sat in the 7th row! Matthew loved everything. His favorite Sesame Street character is Cookie Monster, and he would get very excited everytime Cookie was on stage. Tanner was a good sport, and tried to look cool by not dancing around (secretly I think he liked the show too). After the show, the kids received bags with a stuffed Sesame Street toy as well. Thanks USO!
10/21 I attended this months OSC social (I'm still trying to steal some pictures from friends). This month's activity was a Murder Mystery party. My character was a big time Hollywood movie producer. I didn't kill anyone, which was fortunate! I spent the entire evening trying to recruit people to help me make another "movie," which we got to present at the end of the evening. Due to my "unscrupulous" recruiting techniques, I acquired several bonus coupons which propelled my "movie" into first place! I had so much fun! Grown up conversation is worth it's weight in gold - even if it is make believe!
10/24 Nikki's Girl Scout Brownie troop attended a Halloween party at a local school. This was Nikki's first big event as a Girl Scout, and she had so much fun. I wasn't ready to send her on her own, so I observed from the sidelines. They danced for most of the party, and played games for the rest. It was great to see her so comfortable with herself. I love that Girl Scouts instills a sense of self confidence in girls (which, unfortunately, they loose all too soon). She is loving Girl Scouts!
10/25 McGuire AFB Halloween Party! Every year the base hosts a Halloween Party. We went a few years ago, and it was not a big deal. This year there had to have been over 200 people there. The kids painted pumpkins and played carnival type games. Tanner won a couple of gift certificates to the BX (like a Walmart on base for you non-military folks). Matthew was really overwhelmed by the volume of people and the noise, but was happy to sit and paint his pumpkin. Tanner and Nikki had a blast eating treats, playing games and running around with friends. Tanner went through a haunted house that scared the "heebie jeebies" out of him, and then he wanted to go again! Did I mention how great it is that the Air Force tries to be family friendly!!
All of these events are on top of our regular stuff like book clubs at the library, soccer, scouts, homework, dental appointments, volunteering, and housework (which I have severely neglected these last few weeks). I keep hoping that things will slow down, but If they did I would wish for them to pick up! Go figure!





3 comments:
I totally would have danced with Cookie Monster and Elmo...Tanner should have just swallowed the "man pride"...LoL
You guys are always doing fun things. I'm sorry I forgot to email the pictures of the party in your front yard. I'm glad you got it from my blog though! That was such a fun party!
Oh my goodness!! I've been busy too...so I haven't done my rounds checking blogs for awhile. I was so excited to see that you've posted lots!! What a month!!! You guys definitely have perks... too bad you have to be a part of the military, and have your hubby gone, to get them! :o) I bet that SS concert was way fun!! And how neat that Nikki gets to be a part of Girl Scouts. Do they really go door to door selling cookies (like in the movies)? I'm glad to hear you're all doing well and staying busy!! (I'm so jealous about the murder mystery party... that would be SO much fun!!!) Love ya!
Post a Comment