Okay, so you know it's bad when you are sitting in tithing settlement and your Bishop mentions your lack of posts!! He put it well when he said that "You can always tell when a husband comes home from a deployment, because the blog posts stop." Thanks for the nudge bishop!
We have actually been very busy. Garrett came home on November 1st. We drove down to Maryland 10/31 and did our trick or treating at Grandma and Grandpa's house. It was fun to walk around with Grandpa Roberts, and I think he had just as much fun telling all of his neighbors that these were his grandkids! Spending the day with them on Saturday was the perfect way to make the time pass faster. We were all so glad to see Garrett! (Ellie, I stole the pic from your blog - thanks!)
Durring Garrett's week of R and R we did lots of fun things. Garrett came to Tanner's book club, and took Nikki to Girl Scouts. I got to take a break while Garrett took care of practically everything (he is wonderful)!
On November 7th, we took a road trip to the Poconos in northern Pennsylvania to see Bushkill Falls. They call themselves the "Niagra of Pennsylvania". I was more impressed with the hike than the falls! They have built wooden trails/bridges right over the river, so you are practically in the water. It is amazing to walk up the gorge and see the beautiful moss and ferns growing right out of the rocks. We saw things that we would not have seen if we were walking along the top of the river gorge. The kids had a great time, especially Matthew. I expected him to have a hard time, and ironically, he was the one to complain about leaving!
Sitting on these really great carved seats at the begining of the trail. We rested before even starting!
Down the stairs to get to the river trail. Notice how the "path" is right over the river! Amazing!
View of the main falls from a bridge over the river. It was so loud! There are several trails to other falls, but we only did this one. Maybe next time we'll venture farther!
These stairs took us up out from below the falls. There were so many steep stairs, and the kids did great!

Tanner and Nikki taking a break on the perfect rock seat!
Beautiful view up the gorge. This wooden "trail" really was the most amazing part of the adventure! We definately plan to go back this summer when we can camp, fish and hike!
I had also neglected the yard while Garrett was gone, and this is what he came home to!

We spent a chilly afternoon raking the yard. We have to haul the leaves out to the curb where a leaf truck comes and vacuums them up. This is the view from my driveway!

Don't let the camera fool you, the length of this pile is about 20 feet long and 2-3 feet high! Now we probably have 1/2 that many leaves to rake again! At least now the trees are almost empty!
It is great to have Garrett home and safe. He really does plan to post his pictures soon! He had several adventures while deployed, including spending 2 weeks in Turkey (where the shopping is great - yay for presents!). He has spent the last several weeks catching up on work and his church calling in addition to writing 2 hefty papers for his master's classes. If I can get him to hold still, I will have him post about his deployment.
Next week we are headed to West Virginia for the week of Thanksgiving. Garrett's parents rented a cabin at a resort. We are boycotting the traditional Turkey Day feast in favor of the spread at the resort restaurant! YAY - no cooking for me!!
4 comments:
Ohmyword, I LOVE Bushkill Falls! I spent some good times there when I lived in the Poconos of PA. Your picture of the wooden bridges is phenomenal.
P.S. How funny that it was your bishop worried about your lack of blogging.
Wow! What a beautiful area that is! It looks like it would be an amazing hike. We're glad that Garrett is home safe and hope that you have a wonderful Thanksgiving!
YEA! You're back to blogging! I figured you'd been busy since Garrett got home!! I'm glad he got back home safely!! Those are some beautiful pictures!! It looks like you guys had a great time!
Your bishop is smart! Since so many LDS moms blog - it's a great way for him to keep track of what's going on with some of the families in his ward! That's awesome!
So, is Matthew still into Trains? Is there anything else he loves? Anything specific I could get him for Christmas? Do you know when I need to have the gift in the mail to get it to you in time?
Thanks for listening to my troubles last week! I loved that you were able to laugh at the situation...it helped me calm down faster! Thanks!! I love you tons!!!
Oh... I am so jealous!! I wish I could spend Thanksgiving with you! :-) Have a good time, and know we are thinking of you and love you! I am very thankful to be blessed with such a wonderful family!
Post a Comment