Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Christmas Fun at Home




Here at the Roberts' home we have a tradition of making gingerbread houses. Well, we didn't exactly use gingerbread - graham crackers get us close enough. The race was on that night, trying to use the royal icing before it got too hard. The kidos and parents love to play with candy, icing, and crumbly crackers. As you can see the evening was a success. Matthew made a "single-wide" trailer type house. Nikki and Tanner opted for the more traditional holiday house. The royal icing worked so well, we have thought about using it to patch holes in our drywall. Since making the houses last night, the Roberts family have already demolished many of the candy walls and roofs. This is definitely a Christmas tradition we will keep around for a long time.

4 comments:

Ellie said...

Welcome back! Although we know Jen would much rather be at the beach than in the blizzard....

*Aliese* said...

Cute houses (and pretty tree!!). We always made a huge gingerbread village...Definitely one of my most favorite traditions that one day, I'll get around to doing for myself again. As for the icing: I giggled at the hole-patching. I learned in college to use plain, white toothpaste to patch holes. It worked like a charm! The icing would probably have been better though.

Angela said...

Yay, a new post from the Roberts! =)

*Karleena* said...

SO cute!! Love the gingerbread houses!! Your kiddos have some serious home-building talent! If I were a gumdrop - I'd totally live in a "single-wide" built by a Roberts child! :o)